Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Emerging Men's Trend: Outdoorsman


Mood board I created for Collection Theory class of
inspiration behind Men's Autumn/Winter '14 Collection
Last year at this time, I was hard at work in Italy with a final project for my Collection Theory class, which entailed creating mood boards and illustrations from the design concept, “American Dream.” My professor was a known fashion designer in the Florence area and had worked at major Italian fashion houses. Needless to say, he was very particular about our work, especially when it came to the illustrations. Since I had limited drawing skills my only advantage for the project was that I was likely the most familiar with the theme "American Dream." Actually, I am sure I was, because I was the only American in the class. I could go on about this cultural experience, but to focus on the topic at hand– the project was very challenging. Although the frustration during the drawing part almost killed me, creating the mood boards was one of the most enjoyable class work experiences I have ever had.  I have always loved creating mood boards, and since I was 14, I have turned the walls of every room I’ve lived in into an assemblage of themed fashion collages.


Editorial featuring Steffen Norgaard

For the men’s collection, I gravitated towards an “outdoorsman” theme. I’ve always thought the outdoors was inspiring and I am most familiar with this concept from living in Montana and Minnesota. I was channeling my dad and my Uncle Joel (who lives in the Northern MN woods) as inspirations behind the collection. Both men are into hunting, fishing and spending time outdoors. I bought a huge men’s fashion magazine from a nearby negozio and began clipping runway pictures from fall and winter fashion lines. There were several design concepts, but I gravitated towards leather, fur and wool fabrics in earth tones of brown, burgundy, tan and forest green with woodsy, outdoor backgrounds. After styling the board, my “outdoors” theme had come to life.




Atelier de L'Armee autumn/winter
 2013/14



Now, a year later, this theme is literally coming to life. Fashion trend forecasting and analysis website, WGSN, describes the theme as “nomadic mountain man. Wild and rustic, rugged and hardwearing.” They say it's inspired by the wild and nomadic spirit of mountain men, fusing outdoors styling and workwear functionality with folk and Navajo-inspired prints and pattern. So men, if you are interested in trying this trend here is what you need to know:
  • Key Items: leather jacket, quilted vest, paraffin-waxed jacket, flannel button-downs, corduroy pants, fur hat and knit beanie
  • Colors: Earthy palette of olive greens, soft browns, and rustic reds accentuated by ochre (subdued mustard) and leafy green details
  • Fabrics: Paraffin-waxed cottons, soft waterproof moleskins, cotton twills, corduroy, leather, fur, and canvas with beads, feathers and rope serving as embellishments
  • Print & Pattern: Navajo-inspired patterns and folk prints along with traditional lumberjack plaids


Atelier de L'Armee autumn/winter 2013/14

This trend is a 2014 Autumn/Winter trend and although we are only approaching spring, you can still find ways to incorporate the look and be ahead of it when it gets big across mass retailers. My styling suggestion is to get a leather jacket in brown or black, because it’s versatile for both spring and fall weather.  Leather jackets are wonderful to have and they work well for casual attire or a night downtown. Throw it on and you'll instantly look a little more badass. If leather isn't your style, quilted or padded vests and jackets are also very popular among this trend. They're a little more casual and look great layered with a long sleeve fitted tee underneath. Another idea is to get something with a Navajo print, either a button-down flannel shirt or scarf would be trendy and unique. Otherwise, traditional lumberjack plaid flannel also showcases the trend. 
 


If you want to be a fashion innovator, meaning you’re the first to try new trends before they hit the mainstream, then go out and showcase your mountain man side!


Navajo-inspired pattern shacket by 
Ralph Lauren 



Will you try this trend? Would you consider yourself an outdoorsman? 








      





Sources: 
-WGSN. (25 March 2014). Mountain man: outdoors emerging trend.http://www.wgsn.com.proxy.library.ndsu.edu/content/report/Trend_Analysis/Sport/2014/03mar/mountain_man.html
  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment